Thursday, July 4, 2024

Switzerland

A relatively early start. But that's OK, because I'm awake again at 5:30am. What's that in the distance?
One last, or first, game of fusball and it was off to meet our Uber driver who tetrised our bags into his car, subsequently charged us extra for the privilege and got us to the train station in heaps of time for our trip to Basel. 
My upper body strength is increasing every time I lift the cases up the 3 steps onto the train.
Nanna looked eager to go for a walk so we dragged those bags the 500m to our hotel in Basel.
Bags dumped, we hopped on a free tram and headed for the Botanical gardens. After the first flight of stairs, Nanna looked at the further flights and we abandoned to a coffee shop. I will stay thirsty in Switzerland. I can't pay $10 for a coffee, but the addicts needed their fix.
We saw a town hall, a church, a bridge (the holy trinity of every European city).
We made our way back to the food hall, and I had an excellent South African burger and finished with 3/4 of Nanna's Thai noodles.
Back to the hotel. Le Tour had 70km to go, so I plonked myself on the bed while Annette went to a museum (the quadrella).
I was planning on going for a run, but the sound of thunder put me off. Turns out it was the noise of the tram stop outside our window.
Stage 4 of the race over, I finally appeased my Garmin overlord and headed out to do a light run in the light rain. I didn't get lost, so it was a success.
Last thing to do was eat. I had run past a Vietnamese restaurant which was very close to the hotel. How to convince Nanna. I think the location helped. Tick off another first from her "cuisine eaten" list.
The sweet and sour spicy chicken wings were spectacular. 24 Francs is a bit pricey, but when in Basel ...

No comments: