Wednesday, July 24, 2024

To Milan, but not Minsk and then further

Since the day that we struggled to catch a train from Rome to Civitavecchia I have been dreading today. The taxi to the station was easy, and the train back to Rome was also easy. Woohoo. Nothing can stop us now. 
We found a travelator that we never knew about. Then we found the long tunnel to the platforms. Easy peasy. 
At 10:00, Annette and Nanna went in search of toilets. Our train departed at 10:20. I had a general idea that the train to Milan would go from around platform 2 to 5. We were at 24. We walked up to 5 and stood in front of the indicator board. I asked staff where the train would depart from only to be told to look at the board. Finally at 10:18, platform 2 popped up. 6 bags and Nanna to get up the stairs. At least everyone was in a panic, not just us. 
We got to the luggage rack first through our new-found bullying tactics, found our seats, found the toilets and off we sped ...13 minutes later than scheduled. In Italy, the timetable is just a guess.
On the train I just accidentally purchased an espresso instead of a coffee. I have been seeing people drinking these in Europe. I wondered what the deal was. I typed all of this in 3 seconds thanks to that tiny coffee.
Now I'm typing from this point, about 24 hours after the event. It's all a blur.
Milan to Colico was packed. Of course our final destination was Tirano, but taking a page out of Sydney Trains, there was a trackwork bus. On a positive note, even though the train was late, the bus waited.
The scenery is very nice. It's just been a long day. On arrival we struggled in the heat to find our hotel, and once found, it was hotter inside our room than outside.
It was about 33 degrees out. 
We went walkies and found our departure point for tomorrow about 50 m away. Hooray. Good news.
When in Italy, eat pizza. That was dinner.
The night was so hot. Not sure the fan made any difference. I was considering pouring my bottle of water over me during the night, but opted for drinking instead. 

No comments: