Monday, July 8, 2024

To the tower

Up early (relaxing holiday) and downstairs to breakfast where I was shocked to find out that Annette puts peanut butter straight onto her toast. What happened to the tried and tested method of butter, followed by peanut butter with the option (and when I say option, I don't really mean it) of honey on top?
I ended up with the rest of her toast because she didn't like it. She suggested that I put the butter on top of the peanut butter. What? We emerged from the Dark Ages a long time ago.
I added honey. 
A brisk walk to the station in the English summer weather (rain).
I am continuing this post after the wedding of the century so let's see how my memory is.
The Tower of London was the destination. This may be the last place in London that we haven't seen.
Rick Steves advised we go straight to the Crown Jewels on arrival. We did, they were impressive. Yay.
A 30 minute talk by a beefeater was the highlight. He was amusing - well, as amusing as you can be talking about executions. 
We spent about 3.5 hours there, walked up and down lots of steps and then off to Tesco for our £3.90 meal deal. 
Instead of going to Wimbledon station, we decided that South Wimbledon was a better choice (AKA catching the wrong train).
We got off the train, and then back on to go and pick up our hire car. Our Airbnb let us park in their driveway until 6:30pm, when parking in the street was free. Annette headed off to Jeremy's whilst I diligently checked out the time trial form at the Tour.
I volunteered to pay for dinner, but we actually shopped for real food. We deposited the other 2 hire cars back in my street, cooked dinner, noticed that my throat was sore and settled down to a shocking night's sleep as man versus sickness began.
Tomorrow is the day of the wedding. Drugs may be needed.

No comments: